Varieties of hosting services
A hosting service is associated with depositing and/or sharing particular web content on a web server administered by a website hosting company. There are different forms of hosting services used for various ends, so let's have a gaze at them. Doing so, you can decide what you want, on the basis of whether you'd like to establish a site, e-mailbox accounts, or to share files with friends and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service made available by certain companies, which lets you share bulky files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single goal is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to read a table of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file hosting solutions are frequently supported by displaying adverts by the download links, while a timer compels you to await a specific span of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you have a paid file storage account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no restriction with regard to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting merchants, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a completely incongruous interpretation of the real denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would divide the tasks at hand between independent hosts of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving various web space hosting services (mail, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is just a kind of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; some companies offer a hosting service for images only. This hosting variant is suitable if you wish to share a large amount of pictures with mates or associates since the solution is generally free. You will get a randomly generated link for each pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be utilized for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to tackling your email addresses. Some providers offer webspace hosting services for web sites, but do not provide an email hosting solution. If you want to get a mail address with your domain name but do not wish to keep a site, then the email hosting solution is what you need. You can set up email box accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a particular video clip, or you can embed the video in your web page that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of using this method in lieu of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video clip produces a specific amount of CPU load, so with several videos and several hundred web site viewers, you may have a problem with your hosting quotas. Embedding the video will permit you to possess as many videos as you would like without worrying about system supplies.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you require if you want to run a website. To a certain extent, it embodies all of the aforesaid hosting brands since, along with your web sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can keep databases and email accounts, upload video clips, etc. At MITRIT.com, for instance, you can take a gaze at web hosting and dedicated server hosting accounts that enable you to get all of the aforesaid services in a single location. There may be restrictions depending on the type of hosting service that you've chosen - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web hosting account may be better or worse compared with the standard e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are created for particular content only.